Are You Ready for a Hurricane?
Hurricanes can be life-threatening and cause serious property-damage. When a hurricane blows in threatening hazards such as floods, storm surge, high winds and even tornadoes threaten you and your family’s safety.
Preparation is the best protection against the dangers of a hurricane.
The American Red Cross Recommends that you are well prepared in case disaster strikes. Below is their recommended hurricane supplies list.
Hurricane Supplies List:
- Waterat least a 3-day supply; one gallon per person per day
- Foodat least a 3-day supply of non-perishable, easy-to-prepare food
- Flashlight [Available on the Red Cross Store]
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio (NOAA Weather Radio, if possible) [Available on the Red Cross Store]
- Extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Medications (7-day supply) and medical items (hearing aids with extra batteries, glasses, contact lenses, syringes, etc.)
- Multi-purpose tool
- Sanitation and personal hygiene items
- Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies)
- Cell phone with chargers
- Family and emergency contact information
- Extra cash
- Emergency blanket
- Map(s) of the area
- Baby supplies (bottles, formula, baby food, diapers)
- Pet supplies (collar, leash, ID, food, carrier, bowl)
- Tools/supplies for securing your home
- Extra set of car keys and house keys
- Extra clothing, hat and sturdy shoes
- Rain gear
- Insect repellent and sunscreen
- Camera for photos of damage