Media Alert August 24, 2018 Contact Information: Kym Graves, Project Information Officer Kym@SelmonExtension.com 813-613-2306
SELMON EXTENSION CONSTRUCTION ALERTS WEEK OF AUGUST 25-31, 2018
On Saturday, August 25, 2018, crews will shut down one lane of traffic from 9 pm 6 am on westbound Gandy Boulevard at the intersection of West Shore Boulevard, weather permitting. Crews will drill a hole into the ground to conduct a soil survey to determine the depth for a future signal pole.
Those traveling westbound on Gandy Boulevard will use the straight-thru lane to make a right turn onto West Shore. The northeast corner sidewalk will be closed during this activity. Signs will be posted to alert motorists.
In an effort to keep the construction crews and the traveling public safe, we want to remind motorists that the posted construction speed limit is 45 miles per hour. Speed enforcement will be in place in the signed construction zones. The fine for speeding in a construction zone is double the amount of a regular ticket.
- The existing turn-around configuration near the Gandy Bridge has been permanently relocated. Motorists can now make the left-turn into the boat ramp entrance, U-turn directly back onto eastbound Gandy Boulevard or make the left-turn from eastbound Gandy Boulevard to access the Marine Corp. Base entrance.
- The short merge remains in place on eastbound Gandy between Lois Avenue and Dale Mabry Highway at the entrance to the Selmon Expressway. This lane configuration will remain in place during the construction of the Selmon Extensions new ramps. To avoid congestion in this area during rush-hour traffic, we advise travelers to use the alternate route. Turn left (north) on Dale Mabry Highway and access the Selmon Expressway ramp, located just behind Target.
- The sidewalk remains closed on eastbound Gandy Boulevard between Lois Avenue and Dale Mabry Hwy. Pedestrians walking between Lois Avenue from Dale Mabry Hwy should use the sidewalk on the north side of Gandy Boulevard. Detour signs are posted to alert pedestrians. Graphics are included to show the detour.
- The sidewalk remains closed on southbound Dale Mabry Hwy. between the Selmon Expressway overpass and the railroad tracks. Pedestrians walking on Dale Mabry will need to use the sidewalk on the north side of Dale Mabry. Detour signs are posted to alert pedestrians. Graphics are included to show the detour.
- One lane on both eastbound and westbound Gandy Boulevard between Westshore Boulevard and the Gandy Bridge will be closed each night between 9 pm and 6 am