Media Alert May 22, 2020 Contact Information: Kym Graves, Project Information Officer Kym@SelmonExtension.com 813-613-2306
SELMON EXTENSION TEAM TEMPORARILY SUSPENDS WORK DURING MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND
Travelers will not have any issues with lane closures in South Tampa during this Memorial Day weekend. The Selmon Extension crews will halt construction work on the new elevated bridge. The last day of operations will end early morning on Saturday, May 23, 2020. Work resumes on Tuesday, May 26, 2020. Please remember to obey the posted speed limit. DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE AND STAY SAFE.
SELMON EXTENSION CONSTRUCTION ALERTS WEEK OF MAY 23 – 29, 2020
- Temporary sidewalk closure along northbound Westshore Boulevard between Infinity Westshore and W. Fielder Street.
- The median left-turn lane remains temporarily closed in front of the West Gandy Plaza.
- Sidewalk and crosswalk closure (between Westshore Office Center and Circle K) along the west side of Westshore Boulevard.
- Westshore/Gandy Boulevard intersection; Northside: Daytime water main work, Southside: Rehabilitation work is underway.
- A yield sign remains in place at the bottom off-ramp onto westbound Gandy from the Expressway.
- Sidewalk closure along eastbound Gandy between the Dale Mabry Highway interchange and Lois Avenue.
- Sidewalk closure on northbound Dale Mabry Highway between the Expressway overpass and the railroad tracks. Pedestrians will need to use crosswalks at Gandy or at Britton Plaza as a detour.
The project team is currently re-evaluating when to implement periodic alternating inside lane closures between the Westshore/Gandy intersection and Manhattan Avenue. We continue to monitor the traffic and want to make sure that our lane closures help us, but do not cause huge traffic backups.
When we close the inside lanes on Gandy Boulevard, drivers won’t necessarily see any workers present. That’s because they’re working inside the concrete segments above the traffic. Lane closures are needed to ensure the safety of the traveling public as well as the construction workers.