Media Alert May 10, 2019 Contact Information: Kym Graves, Project Information Officer Kym@SelmonExtension.com 813-613-2306
TEMPORARY ROAD CLOSURE SCHEDULED FOR GANDY BOULEVARD NEXT WEEKEND FOR RAILROAD WORK
On Friday, May 17, 2019, The Florida Department of Transportation and CSX will temporarily close Gandy Boulevard, between Dale Mabry Highway and Lois Avenue at 9 pm. Crews will replace the railroad crossing in front of the I-Heart Radio building. This means that portions of both sides of Gandy Boulevard will be temporarily closed for the entire weekend. Travelers will be detoured around the work zone using S. Dale Mabry, Interbay and Westshore Boulevard. The entrance ramp on northbound Dale Mabry Highway will remain open to access the Selmon Expressway. Electronic message boards will be displayed to alert drivers. The road is expected to reopen by 6 am on Monday, May 20, 2019, weather permitting.
SELMON EXTENSION CONSTRUCTION ALERTS WEEK OF MAY 10-17, 2019
- Westshore/Gandy Boulevard intersection; Northside: daytime tree removal, underground utility work will occur at night due to implemented lane closures, lanes have been narrowed approaching the intersection. Southside: New lane configuration; straight-thru/right-turn lanes have been combined into one lane.
- New traffic configuration for the entrance to the westbound Gandy Boulevard ramp. Drivers should reduce speed while approaching the off-ramp.
- Traffic pattern remains in place for the Selmon Expressway’s exit to eastbound Gandy Boulevard.
- The short merge still exists on eastbound Gandy between the CSX railroad tracks and Dale Mabry Highway at the entrance to the Selmon Expressway. As an alternative, turn left (north) on Dale Mabry Highway and access the Selmon Expressway ramp, located just behind Target.
- The sidewalk is closed along eastbound Gandy Boulevard between the Dale Mabry Highway interchange and Lois Avenue. Pedestrians walking in the area should use the sidewalk on the north side of Gandy Boulevard. Detour signs are posted to alert pedestrians.
- The sidewalk is closed on northbound Dale Mabry Highway between the Selmon Expressway overpass and the railroad tracks. Pedestrians walking on Dale Mabry will need to use the sidewalk on the west side of Dale Mabry. Detour signs are posted to alert pedestrians.
- One lane on both eastbound and westbound Gandy Boulevard between Westshore Boulevard and the Gandy Bridge will be closed each night between 9 pm and 6 am.
In an effort to keep the construction crews and the traveling public safe, we want to remind motorists that the posted construction speed limit is 45 miles per hour. Speed enforcement will be in place in the signed construction zones. The fine for speeding in a construction zone is double the amount of a regular ticket.