April 19, 2019
Kym Graves, Project Information Officer
WIDENING OPERATION BEGINS ON WESTSHORE/GANDY BOULEVARD INTERSECTION
Selmon Extension construction crews started the preparation work for the widening and lengthening lanes on both the north and southbound sides of the intersection of Gandy and Westshore Boulevard. A new lane configuration has been implemented on the southside, the straight-thru and the right-hand turn lane have been condensed to one shared-lane. Please use caution while approaching this intersection.
TEMPORARY TURN-LANE CLOSURE SCHEDULED CONTINUES ON EASTBOUND GANDY BOULEVARD THROUGH NEXT WEEK
The left median turn-lane, eastbound Gandy Boulevard in front of Renellie Drive will remain temporarily closed through the middle of next week. The closure is needed to conduct bridge foundation work in the median. Drivers will need to U-turn at Trask Street or S. Manhattan Avenue to access the West Gandy Plaza. Advanced warning signs will be posted to alert motorists. The turn-lane will open for thru-traffic once crews are complete by Wednesday, April 24th at 6 am.
In an effort to keep the construction crews and the traveling public safe, we want to remind motorists that the posted construction speed limit is 45 miles per hour. Speed enforcement will be in place in the signed construction zones. The fine for speeding in a construction zone is double the amount of a regular ticket.
WORK TO CEASE ON THE SELMON EXTENSION CONSTRUCTION PROJECT ON EASTER SUNDAY
Contractors will suspend work for the Selmon Extension Project on Sunday, April 21, 2019, in observance of the Easter holiday. There will be no impacts to the traveling public during this time. HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY HOLIDAY!
OTHER SELMON UPDATES 4/19 – 4/26:
- New traffic configuration for westbound Gandy Boulevard entrance ramp, please use caution while driving in this area.
- Westshore/Gandy Boulevard intersection; Northside: Drainage/pipe/utility work will occur at night due to implemented lane closures, continue barrier wall installation, lanes have been narrowed at the intersection. Southside: New lane configuration; straight-thru/right-turn lanes have been combined into one lane.
- Traffic pattern remains in place for the Selmon Expressway’s exit to eastbound Gandy Boulevard.
- The short merge still exists on eastbound Gandy between the CSX railroad tracks and Dale Mabry Highway at the entrance to the Selmon Expressway. As an alternative, turn left (north) on Dale Mabry Highway and access the Selmon Expressway ramp, located just behind Target.
- The sidewalk is closed along eastbound Gandy Boulevard between the Dale Mabry Highway interchange and Lois Avenue. Pedestrians walking in the area should use the sidewalk on the north side of Gandy Boulevard. Detour signs are posted to alert pedestrians.
- The sidewalk is closed on northbound Dale Mabry Highway between the Selmon Expressway overpass and the railroad tracks. Pedestrians walking on Dale Mabry will need to use the sidewalk on the west side of Dale Mabry. Detour signs are posted to alert pedestrians.
- One lane on both eastbound and westbound Gandy Boulevard between Westshore Boulevard and the Gandy Bridge will be closed each night between 9 pm and 6 am.